Saturday, August 13, 2011

My Blue(berry) Heaven

Guess what grows in Virginia?
Blueberries!


Photo: Andrew Sweeny
Andrew and I spent yesterday morning at a local farm, filling our bucket with pounds and pounds of the biggest, most delicious blueberries I have ever seen or eaten. The farm is completely natural; no pesticides or anything, so you can eat those guys straight off the bushes -- and eating is encouraged. Did you know that flavor in blueberries varies from bush to bush?

 I kept thinking about Robert McCloskey's Blueberries for Sal.
Image by Robert McCloskey, Image via mybutterflydesign.blogspot.com

"Little Sal picked three berries and dropped them in her little tin pail ... kuplink, kuplank, kuplunk!"

My berries went kuplink, kuplank, kuplunk, so loudly and delightfully in my large tin pail -- until, of course, Andrew and I picked over a gallon, so the plunking stopped.


Photo: Andrew Sweeny

And, of course, like Sal, we ate as many as we put in our bucket.

1 comment: