Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December

These lines of a favorite hymn have described the innumerable blessings God has made known to me lately:

Hast thou not seen how all they longings have been granted in what He ordaineth?

I have truly seen. To name a few:

1. My Andrew. It was so good to have him at our home for Thanksgiving, and he'll be here again for Christmas day, then we're hitting up his family's get-together the week after. We had a blast catching up, taking our engagment pictures at Watson Mill (where we got engaged), going on a date (we don't get to often), and looking at the stars. I learned a new constellation: Casseopeia. I found it on my own tonight, so I guess that means I really learned it. We also started our registry... slightly a nightmare. We're both too definite in our opinions sometimes. But that frustration led to a good conversation. I do love that boy.

2. My new sister! My older brother proposed to his girlfriend the week before Thanksgiving. Such joy!

3. Sweet friends. Lindsay and I spent the weekend before Thanksgiving together. I drove down to visit her Thursday; we made jewelry, went shopping, and (of course) hit up the new Harry Potter movie the day it came out. We then drove up to our beloved Chattanooga to attend the wedding of two dear friends. We got to visit with even more dear friends before and after, so all in all ... a sweet weekend. And Linja's coming to see me this weekend, too!

4. Winter. I'm so thankful that it's finally sweatpants and sweater season. I've reached a point in my life where I don't enjoy bumming around the house in jeans: it's either sweatpants or gym shorts. And there's nothing cozier than curling up on our cushy sofa in sweats, a book in one hand and a snack in the other. That's what I did most of the day today.

5. Christmas! Mom and Dad put up our tree this evening while I was at work, so the lights were twinkling at me when I pulled in the driveway. Now I must shop...

6. Discipline. I'm trying to memorize 2 Peter. I made it through the first four or five verses this morning and have been saying them to myself all day. I hope my energy doesn't give out before I'm done. I'm absolutely notorious for losing energy for a project right before it's done, and then I finish it months later, if at all.

7. Hot showers. Chicken strip salads. Family pictures. Coffee. Cardigans. Fleece blankets. Red Mountain Music. Cookies in the oven. Potted plants. Snail mail. Comfortable silences. The gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment