Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Books, Movies, and Munchies

About two months ago, I checked out The Hunchback of Notre-Dame at my local library. The book sat on my shelf for the entire time; I never even picked it up again. I looked at it frequently, but never made a move. A month later, I repeated the exact same charade. Last week, I checked the poor book out yet again, and then today, picked it up, and began to read. Wish me luck, perserverance, and understanding.

I braved the bitter cold to go see "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" last night with my dear friend Princess Sarah. Disappointing! It was all I could do not to laugh at the outrageous plot the writers fabricated, as though C.S. Lewis's was not good enough. I felt as thought I was watching a bad sci-fi flick more than once during the movie. The best scene in the movie came at the end, when Aslan tells Lucy and Edmond that he is in their world, where he has another name, "and you must learn to call me by that name. It was for that very purpose that you were brought here to Narnia..." Sadly, however, this scene felt so out-of-place in the context of the movie that if I wasn't a life-long fan of the books, I would have wondered what the heck Aslan was talking about. Disappointing.

Something that is not disappointing, however, is this recipe! I have an aversion to cheese balls, as I generally feel nauseated at the smell of peppers and onions (much less the taste), but the first time my mom made this one, she literally had to tell me to stop eating it. Simple, and completely addictive. It literally melts in your mouth. But, in the infamous words of LeVar Burton... You don't have to take my word for it!


It looks just like this, except is coated with pecans. (I stole this picture from Google...)



Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball

1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter (no substitues), softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cp confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
graham crackers

In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually add sugars; beat just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Place cream cheese mixture on a large piece of plastic wrap; shape into a ball. Refrigerate for at least one hour.

Just before serving, roll cheese ball in pecans. Serve with graham crackers.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment