Monday, October 4, 2010

Seven Good Things

1. Friends! I was so blessed to be able to attend Homecoming at my Alma Mater--Bryan College--with my best friend Lindsay this weekend. We had a whole weekend of heart-to-hearts and catching up with one another, and deep belly laughs. There was much quoting of A Very Potter Musical, many late night conversations, and contagious all-around joy at being with friends. And I got to see my boyfriend, and we went on our first date since July! (He's in medical school.) I also spent a very sweet hour with my mentor Friday afternoon.

2. Bargains! Lindsay and I stopped at an outlet mall, where I scored this bag for $8.01 (it's much cuter in real life than in the picture).

3. The 3/50 Project. Look it up. (http://www.the350project.net/)

4. Poetry! A friend from my summer camp job texted me today, asking if I'd heard of Steve Turner. I've spent the last forty minutes reading some of his poetry, and it is challenging and thought-provoking. A good find, indeed. For example:

The Cast of Christmas Reassembles For Easter

Take the wise men to the Emperor's palace.
Wash their hands in water.
Get them to say something about truth.
Does anyone know any good Jewish jokes?
The one about a carpenter
who thought he was a King?
The one about the Saviour
who couldn't save himself?
The shepherds should stand with the chorus.
They have a big production number -
'Barabbas, We Love You Baby'.
Mary? She can move to the front.
We have a special section reserved
for family and close friends.
Tell her that we had to cut the manger up.
We needed the wood for something else.
The star I'm afraid I can't use.
There are no stars in this show.
The sky turns black with sorrow.
The earth shakes with terror.
Hold on to the frankincense.
We'll need that for the garden scene.
Angels? He could do with some angels.
Avenging angels.
Merciful angels.
He could really do with some angels.
Baby Jesus.
Step this way please.
My! How you've grown!


Most of his stuff just hits you in the gut like that. At least, of what I read today.

5. Sleep! Taken for granted until entering college, then forever considered a precious commodity. I look forward to more than eight hours tonight. I must be old: I need more than one night's sleep to recover from my weekend away.

6. Neighbors! I was reminded an hour ago that I'm supposed to have cake for my class tomorrow night; the cake needs at least 24 hours to cool. Upon a startling remembrance that cake had to be baked, I then immediately realized that there were zero eggs in the house. Drive to town? Call the neighbors? Most of my neighbors are family, so that's not a huge deal. I called my aunt across the road, and in fifteen minutes or so, my sweet cousin came over with four eggs for me. He will get some cake when it is done. I also should have spent time today making more buttercream flowers, but I'm just going to use the 35 or so that I have. Tomorrow night is my last night of class; is the progress measurable at all? I hope so.

7. Home.

2 comments:

  1. Hurray! I'm so sad I didn't see you this weekend, though!

    And don't worry... your progress is measurable. You've made some lovely cakes! Even the doll one, I dare say :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a new journal yesterday after work from the book shop downtown because I checked out 3/50. What a world changer you are!

    ReplyDelete