Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Final Exam!

Last night, I attended my last cake class. The final exam? We learned the basket-weave technique and then applied it to a cake, along with multitudes of buttercream flowers we brought with us, resulting in a flower basket cake!


Our instructor showed us the sacred Wilton way of creating a basketweave, and then her own method. I like them both, but I chose her method for this cake. They both look great, and you create them the same way; you just use a different tip for a different look. The Wilton technique is flatter, looking more like an Easter basket. This one, as you can see, is more textured, and looks more like a country basket.

I brought about forty flowers, and could've used a few more, but my Tennessee trip cut into my flower-making time this weekend. Overall, I was pleased.





I have no idea how to cut this cake to eat it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Did you think you'd be decorating cakes like this when you first started this class? This is impressive! Please continue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! Loads of delicious buttercream! I'm usually not one for icing, but I do love buttercream. I'm very impressed by both your basket weave and your lovely flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Millie,
    I was reminded of your blog today and am so glad I visited. Your cake is absolutely beautiful! I can't imagine how much time it must have taken to make all those flowers and do all that weaving. It looks too good to eat:)

    ReplyDelete