Thursday, September 9, 2010

My very own cake

All the baking and cooking I'm doing has put me in even more a cooking and baking mood. So, in addition to time in the kitchen, I've watched "No Reservations," and now am watching "Julie and Julia."

Our instructor wants us to ice pound cakes, which I'm not a huge fan of, but oh well. I decided to bake a chocolate pound cake, because I thought it would work better with butter cream icing than a plain pound cake.

Here's my naked cake:


I had no idea how I wanted to decorate it, even up until I met Laura for dinner. But, fortunately, there was a neat little iron fence in the restaurant, so nerd that I am, I copied the design down in my notebook, and used it as the starting point for my very first cake. The colors: teal and brown. The result? Are you ready?


Ta-da! It's not brilliant or professional, but I think it's alright for a first go. The top border is what really sets it apart as amateur, I think. It's ridiculously uneven. And it reminds me too much of the poopy icing they make fun of on Cake Wrecks. Hopefully this too shall pass. But it tasted pretty good, and it all got eaten when my mom took it to work yesterday.

On another note, I made up a recipe for oven-baked cumin chicken for dinner the other night and served it with steamed broccoli, and mashed sweet potatoes. Delicious!

1 comment:

  1. I don't think it looks poopy. :)
    The colors look like light blue and goldenrod to me, and I love that color combo!
    Keep up the good work, chica! You'll be on Ace of Cakes before you know it!

    ReplyDelete